1/32 scale vacuform: ID Models (Tigger) SAAB J29 Tunnan
review / modelling report
..continued from page 3....
The model was protected during next
finishing and assembly with thin plastic wrapping foil to avoid finger
prints and handling damage.
The cockpit main instrument panel
was made from plastic cart with drilled circular holes.
The vacuform canopy is in the ID Models/
TIGGER kit, but basic. I added the internal framing. There is no mirror,
this is positioned in the windscreen.
Now the remainder of the details were
the handle and a single lower mirror in the windscreen. These were made
with a REHEAT etched metal set for the mirror.
The "Raketstol" was made from plastic
card and detailed looking at photos.
The frame is metal with green details. Straps and belts were made from
card and the buckles from various etched metal sets like from REHEAT and
from the spares box.
Below the horizontal elevator, various
trim tabs and control rods are seen as well. These were made from scrap.
On the airframe, various panels were airbrushed with ALCLAD II for some different shades as on the real J29.
But also, some sections of a plain
aluminium coloured decalsheet (e.g using Microscale Trim Film or any other
you may have at home) was airbrushed. With a template, several panels were
cut from the decals with small scissors. And in various notably round and
elliptical panels. These were seen on J29 photos and the scale drawings.
These decals were applied on some areas on top of the airbrushed ALCLAD
surfaces on the model. This gives a very good result with the model becoming
On the various panels (with some covered
with a decal) with a "riveter tool" (in my case from Trumpeter) the small
rivets were engraved.
This is not easy on curved surfaces
and it was done only along a few panel lines.
The problem noted
on page 3 of getting large enough Swedish "Svenska Flygvapnet" roundels
was solved after a response on a post I made on the Large Scale Planes
(LSP) discussion forum.
The modeller AndersN. from Sweden responded and offered me several decal sheets from a FIAT CR.42 which had the correct sized roundels. And he send them without any costs! Thank you Anders!
The decal roundels were applied. The
model had the gloss ALCLAD surfaces so that was OK to avoid silvering.
The decals were set onto the model with also various stencilling and numbers found in my spare decal box. (during the process I noted that the PRINTSCALE J29 DECALS I had in 1/72 with stencils were far too large!).
There are not a lot of stencils on a real J29A Tunnan. The small serial no. for a F13 J29A below the horizontal adjustable stabilizer was "composed" from loose number decals.
After the decals dried, the model got a gloss varnish coat with thinned Johnson Future with the usual technique. This protects the decals. The model was allowed to dry now for 24 hours.
Meanwhile... it would be nice to make
something extra for a model diorama....
What about a model engine?
The real J29 Svenska Flygmotor RM2 was based on the British Ghost engine. (see info on my scrap page here...)
But the Ghost engine is also in the 1/32 Matchbox Sea Venom kit. I had a spare engine in the spares box so this could be used. (seen here...)
The intake section is different however on the J29 as it has a straight intake tunnel. So of the kit parts, the forward section was adapted with a round section of a cowling from the spares box and card. I added a compressor fan disc and also the various details form stretched sprue, wire and so on.
The engine would sit nicely next to
the model on a dolly. I found some photos and the dolly was made from rod
and cart. The wheels came from the spares box.
|On to final [ Page 5 ... ]|
Back to 1/32 Models.......
(c) Copyright Meindert "designer"/ All rights reserved. Your comments are welcomed by webmaster
Created this page
October 22, 2016