Grumman A-6A intruder in 1/32 scale kit review & modelling report of the Trumpeter kit
|Review / Modelling report|
| .. continued from
Now it was time for the decals. The decal application was also done with the help of Johnson Future / Pledge to prevent silvering, the model getting an overall gloss coat with the airbrush.
For this build, I used the Trumpeter kit stencil decals along with the Superscale set 32-264 for VA-95 Green Lizards, as noted on page 1. The basic markings in the Superscale set are well-designed with good "stars and bars" formats, which I found more suitable than the Trumpeter ones that appeared too large. Note that decal no. 51 "NO STEP" should be on top of the wing, flaps, spoilers, and horizontal stabilizer.
Some other minor changes to the decals:
The canopy was enhanced with additional details inside the frame, some of which were provided in the kit and accurately represented. The frames were painted black on the interior. The mirrors were painted black on the front and a thin layer of aluminum foil was added to suggest mirror glass.
To make the canopy easily detachable, a metal wire attachment structure was created (not seen here).
The pilot display part X3 and X4 seen
in STEP 4 were fitted. Also, the pilot control stick U7 and navigator stick
U9 were fitted. The windshield (that was already painted) and tank probe
M7 were installed, the tiny gaps filled with white glue and painted when
Sub-assemblies were installed, like
airbrakes, avionics bird cage, etc etc.
The main and nose wheels themselves
were set in place now on the undercarriage legs with super glue.
To achieve a subtle weathering effect, various panels were airbrushed with colors of light gull gray mixed with white, and sometimes a bit of dark gray and black was added in places. To maintain subtlety, masks were held near the appropriate panels and rivet joints. Lower "white" surfaces also got an airbrush treatment with "off white," black "oil leak" strakes, and other details.
Afterwards, most decals, including the smaller stenciling, received a light coat of airbrushed paint to blend them into the surrounding areas. This step protected the decals, eliminating the need for a final varnish coat. The wheel hubs received a black wash using PROMODELLER wash, and other touch-ups were made as necessary.
- In STEP 23 the small antenna's, the PE parts, were set below the intake.
- In STEP 30, the small windshield
airflow vent is also in the kit , part O11. Also the small collision light?
is seen, kit part X1. These parts were set on the model. Here seen
on a real A-6:
- Two external fuel tanks were installed
with their braces parts J5. The kit tanks are OK. The left tank got the
- The ejection seats, that were prepared earlier, got some additional red-white placards/markings painted on and were set inside the cockpit.
- The pitot in STEP 26 was replaced by a metal needle, set on the tail and painted.
- the aft sliding canopy was set in place but is detachable;
This completed the model! A very nice A-6A "Cut away" for a VA-95 Green Lizards aircraft.
On to next
[ Page 4....]
|Back to 1/32 models|
(c) Copyright Meindert "designer"/ All rights reserved. Your comments are welcomed by webmaster
|Created this page
October 30, 2014